Thursday, January 12, 2017

CONTENT WARNINGS

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in class, if you are at all squeamish or easily bothered by difficult subject matter or graphic visual violence, this may not be the course for you. However, if there is one particular subject or topic that might be hard for you to read or watch for whatever reason, please let me know and I can provide alternative options for you. As I mentioned in class, this course deals with a lot of extreme subjects due to the nature of the genre: cannibalism, murder, sexual violence, pedophilia, violence toward animals, etc.

If you feel uncomfortable during a film and need to step out out of the room, feel free. I simply ask that you speak with me about it that day (through email or during break or after class) so we can arrange an alternative assignment for you.

While all the books we read deal with some intense stuff, the beginning of the chapter titled "Friday Oct 23" in Let Me In, up until the first section break (in my copy of the book it's pages 40-46) deals with pedophilia in a rather intense way. Ultimately this book deals with some of the darker sides of humanity and the things that people hide from society's eyes, and that is why this particular character is included in the book.

That said, you should feel free to skip these particular pages if you need to. You can get the gist from the rest of the book.

Any questions? Let me know.

Prof D

No comments:

Post a Comment